1 Month Baby Has Been Lazy For 2 Days To Drink Breast Milk Through A Pacifier?
My baby is 1 month 16 days old. He has been lazy to drink breast milk for 2 days. Drinks breast milk through a pacifier since birth. If I put the pacifier in his mouth, it will be rejected or the milk is just kept in his mouth and then thrown away. The baby is also healthy and not sick. Why do you think so. Worried about the baby’s weight going down
Hello, Mrs. Meilani. Thanks for the question to the HealthReplies.com team.
Basically every baby will feel thirsty and hungry so will need breast milk by itself. Especially for babies less than 6 months old, the only food and drink they can eat is breast milk. There are several possibilities for a baby to be lazy to drink breast milk, including:
- Babies experience nipple confusion, which is a condition that often occurs in babies who are also getting breast milk through a pacifier or bottle.
- The baby is sick or the body is feeling uncomfortable
- Decreased breastfeeding frequency
Carry out routine checks on the baby, either by checking with the doctor or the nearest posyandu to monitor the baby's weight. If there is no decline, then there is no need to worry. Some things you can do to breastfeed your child include:
- Give breast milk regularly, even if the baby is not hungry. Infants aged 1-3 months generally need breast milk every 2 hours
- give breast milk directly through the mother's nipple
- breastfeed the baby for a longer time
- increase maternal nutritional intake so that they can provide quality breast milk
- do a consultation with a lactation counselor