Can I Have Liver Damage If I Consume Excess Paracetamol?
HealthReplies.com, two days ago I overdosed on paracetamol until I was unable to move, lost consciousness and had difficulty breathing for about an hour. After being in the hospital I was asked what complaints, after checking I was only infused then I was given a prescription of vitamins and sanmol. Is there a possibility that I have liver damage?
How many paracetamol tablets do you consume? Paracetamol is a fever and anti-pain medication. The dosage is adjusted to the patient's condition, age, and body weight (for children). Paracetamol is excreted in urine.
Paracetamol is quite safe to consume and rarely causes serious side effects, as long as it is taken in the right dose and according to indications. Paracetamol consumption in the long term or in large doses (around 10-15 grams or around 20-30 tablets) can cause serious damage to the liver and kidneys. In people with a history of continuous alcohol consumption, consumption of paracetamol less than 2 grams / about 4 tablets alone is at risk of causing liver and kidney damage.
Paracetamol poisoning or paracetamol overdose can cause several complaints such as decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, excessive sweating, discomfort in the body, upper right abdominal pain, enlarged liver, appearing yellow, and decreased urinary volume.
Examination of patients suspected of paracetamol overdose is by anamnesis, physical examination, and if necessary blood tests are done to check paracetamol levels in the body as well as liver function tests and kidney function tests to assess the existence of liver and kidney damage.
Handling of paracetamol overdoses given by doctors will be adjusted to the patient's condition, for example by stimulating vomiting if just swallowing paracetamol, or giving active charcoal, N-acetylcysteine, and observation of the patient.
Some people are allergic to paracetamol. Paracetamol allergy symptoms can be mild to severe symptoms, such as itching, rashes, swelling in the eyes and lips, swelling throughout the body, shortness of breath, to decreased consciousness. People who have a history of paracetamol allergy should always inform their allergy information to the doctor every time they seek treatment.
Are you currently hospitalized? Unfortunately you didn't mention the amount of paracetamol you took beforehand so I can't be sure whether there is a possibility of liver damage or not. I suggest that you discuss directly with the doctor who treats you about your condition, additional checks needed, and further treatment options if available.
Henceforth, if you take medication, make sure you take the medicine according to the doctor's recommended dosage. If you are taking drugs in excess of the recommended dose consciously, or you are experiencing severe stress and stress, it would be better if you also consult a psychologist or psychiatrist so that you can be helped and accompanied.
Hope it helps you,