Causes And Ways Of Treating Pleural Thickening?
Noon Yesterday I arrived at the Bhayangkara Hospital. There is a pleural thickening problem. Please explain what pleural thickening is. And how to cure it. Thank you
Hello, thank you for asking at HealthReplies.com
Pleural thickening or thickening of the pleural lining is not a diagnosis of disease, but a sign of a disease based on chest X-ray examination.
Pleura is a layer that covers the lung tissue. Pleural layer consists of 2 layers, namely:
1. A layer of visceral pleura that envelops and attaches directly to lung tissue.
2. Parietal pleural layer attached to the chest wall.
Between the visceral and parietal pleural layers there is a pleural space or cavity. Pleural cavity contains a small amount of fluid that functions as a lubricant during the breathing process.
Thickening of the pleural lining detected from chest X-rays can be a sign of the following conditions, namely:
1. Pleuritis or inflammation of the pleural lining. Inflammation can occur due to infectious or noninfectious processes.
2. Psychiatric or scarring. Generally formed by pleurisy or medical procedures involving the pleural lining, such as thoracosynthesis.
3. Empyema, which is a condition in which pus accumulates in the pleural cavity as a complication of pneumonia (lung tissue infection).
Every result of investigations must be matched with clinical data. Clinical data is the result of medical interviews and direct physical examinations by doctors. For that, it is necessary for you to consult with a pulmonary specialist. The doctor will even ask for further support if necessary.
Meanwhile, if you smoke, stop immediately. Because smoking can be a factor that facilitates infection and other lung diseases. And avoid becoming a passive smoker and wear a mask when riding a motorcycle.
Thus hopefully useful.