Causes Of Diarrhea After Taking Antibiotics?
afternoon, I want to ask why if taking antibiotics can occur diarrhea? thank you
Good evening, thanks for the question
Antibiotic related diarrhea is a condition of liquid bowel movements with more than normal frequency after taking certain types of antibiotics to treat germ infections.
In general, this type of diarrhea is not severe and complaints will decrease a few days after stopping the consumption of antibiotics. Usually antibiotic-related diarrhea appears after about 1 week of taking antibiotics. Clostridium difficile bacterial toxin is often the cause of the emergence of intestinal inflammation because of the use of antibiotics before causing disruption of the balance of normal bacteria in the intestine. Symptoms due to C.difficile infection such as abdominal pain and cramps, mild fever, nausea, and decreased appetite.
All types of antibiotics can potentially cause diarrheal conditions, but some of the antibiotics most often the cause include:
- Cephalosporins, for example cefixime
- Penicillins, for example amoxicillin and ampicillin
To help prevent the incidence of antibiotic-related diarrhea, you can do the following:
- Use antibiotics as needed based on doctor's recommendations only
- Tell the doctor that you have previously experienced diarrhea related to antibiotics
- Always maintain personal hygiene by washing hands with water or with alcohol-based hand washing
That's all, hope you can help