Children Naturally Have Liquid Stools If They Drink UHT Milk?
Evening, I want to ask. My son is 16 months old, a week ago he was treated for vomiting, diarrhea and fever. After checking his blood, urine and feces, he found that there was bacteria in the stool. Was treated for 4 days and is now recovering. Before returning home, I asked the pediatrician who handled my child, is my child eating or drinking restrictions? He replied, there is no need to keep the food clean. The second day after returning home, my child asked for UHT milk, which I gave a small size of 125mL 2x a day, initially it was okay. However, after the 4th day after being hospitalized, my child started to have diarrhea again, liquid chapter with a little pulp 5-6 times that day. The next day I did not give UHT milk again, my child did not have diarrhea. The next day, because my child was crying, I gave it a little and it was true that after a few minutes my child came back. Is my child allergic to milk? But if you are allergic, why doesn’t he consume milk from the start? before the hospitalization, nothing happened. My child has been consuming uht since 13 months. Explanation please. Thank you
Hello Friska, thank you for the question for HealthReplies.com
The condition of diarrhea that occurs every time a child drinks UHT milk is most likely caused by lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance is a condition in which the body does not produce enough of the enzyme lactase to digest lactose in milk and other dairy products. There are 3 types of lactose intolerance:
Primary lactose intolerance, where the baby is born with enough lactase (has no problem digesting milk at birth), but the amount of this lactase decreases with age so that as an adult, the person can not drink milk and other dairy products.
Secondary lactose intolerance, which is lactose intolerance that occurs after being exposed to certain diseases, such as gastrointestinal infections, Crohn's disease, Celiac disease, etc.
Congenital lactose intolerance, which is lactose intolerance acquired from birth. This condition is very rare and is a condition that is genetically inherited.
In your child's case, it is likely that your child develops secondary lactose intolerance after a bacterial infection in the intestine. In cases like these, lactose intolerance can go away on its own in a few weeks to a few months. When you have an infection, the intestine can be damaged so that lactase production also decreases. When the intestine has started to recover from the damage, lactase production can return to normal and the child can drink milk again as usual.
For the first time (3-4 weeks), try not to give cow's milk or other dairy products (ice cream, cheese, yogurt) to your child. Give time for the intestines to heal. After 3-4 weeks, try to give milk again, starting with a small amount first, if your child does not have diarrhea anymore after drinking milk, you can slowly increase the amount.
As long as you eliminate milk and its processed products, your child must get calcium from other sources. Cow's milk is the best source of calcium, but there are also other foods and drinks that you can provide to replace the calcium that cannot be obtained from cow's milk. You can try to find cow's milk that does not contain lactose, replace cow's milk with other milks such as almond milk or soy milk, increase the amount of foods high in calcium such as nuts, broccoli, okra, sardines, tofu and tempeh, etc.
You can also discuss again with the Pediatrician if indeed the diarrhea experienced by children is quite heavy.
So much information from me, hopefully it will be enough to answer