Drinking Water In A Patient Who Has An NGT Tube To Remove Toxins In The Stomach?
Hello doctor, I want to ask. R nIf you have installed an NGT hose to remove the toxic fluid in the stomach, can’t you drink water?
Hello Maksu, thank you for the question to HealthReplies.com
Patients who use NGT actually are not always prohibited from eating or drinking as long as the patient has no problems in swallowing. However, the ability to swallow this patient must be evaluated first by the treating doctor. In some conditions patients who are installed NGT are indeed not allowed to eat or drink anything (NPO - nil per os). This also applies to the case of people who ingest certain poisons. Certain poisons can cause damage to the throat and esophagus, so swallowing can occur in these patients.
Therefore, whether or not a patient who is put on an NGT is given to drink water is very dependent on the condition of each patient (it cannot be generalized), you should ask this directly from the doctor who treats the patient. If the patient is indeed not allowed to eat and drink but the patient feels his mouth dry because he breathes a lot through his mouth (because one of the nostrils is attached NGT), the patient is usually allowed to rinse his mouth with water as long as the water is not swallowed.
So much information from me, hopefully enough answer