First Aid For Children Who Have Accidentally Ingested The Balm?
Greetings, r n My 2-year-old child accidentally swallowed a muscle balm (counterpain) when I went to the bathroom really. R nWas there any side effect? How is the first treatment? R nWhat do I bring to ugd?
Hello, thank you for the question for HealthReplies.com
Counterpain is a topical pain medication (topical) that contains active ingredients such as Menthol, Methyl Salicylate, and Eugenol. These ingredients are present in concentrations high enough to penetrate the skin and reduce pain. Due to their high concentration, these ingredients should not be swallowed.
Ingesting large amounts of these ingredients can cause poisoning. Some signs of poisoning include:
difficulty breathing, rapid and shallow breathing, and no breathing at all
vision and hearing problems (ringing in the ears)
swelling of the throat
impaired kidney function
neurological disorders such as fever, dizziness, decreased consciousness (sleep continues or fainting), hallucinations
nausea and vomiting (may be accompanied by blood)
If your child only licks a little, then chances are nothing will happen, but if your child swallows a large amount, you should immediately take your child to the hospital.
Meanwhile, immediately get rid of any remaining medicine in the mouth. You can ask the child to take it out of the mouth or wipe it with a damp towel. Do not induce vomiting in the child, take him to the hospital immediately. Henceforth, make sure you keep all your medicines, including topical medicines in a place out of reach of children.
So much information from me, hopefully it will be enough to answer
dr. irna cecilia