Heartburn And Upper Stomach Pain After Every Meal?
Hi. Thank you for the question for HealthReplies.com.
Heartburn or acid reflux disease or commonly called GERD in medicine is a condition in which stomach acid rises to the esophagus and causes irritation of the esophagus. The cause of this condition is because the muscles that are on the esophageal-stomach border are not functioning properly so that stomach acid can rise into the esophagus. Some of the factors that increase the risk of acid reflux are:
- Prolonged gastric emptying can be caused by fatty foods, foods that are not chewed properly, and foods that are difficult for the stomach to digest.
- Consume foods that increase stomach acid, for example coffee, tea, alcohol, spicy food, etc.
- Abnormal gastric location (hiatal hernia)
- Medicines that cause an increase in stomach acid such as aspirin and drugs that cause muscle relaxation, for example hypertension drugs.
Gastric acid that rises to the esophagus will irritate the esophagus and give symptoms such as a burning chest, nausea, chest pain, a lump in the neck, coughing, heartburn, etc. Handling can be done in various stages starting from lifestyle modification then using drugs to surgery. Some of the things you can do for your own treatment are:
- Lose weight if excess
- Eat smaller portions but often
- Chew enough food before swallowing, recommended 32x
- Avoid lying down immediately after eating
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, spicy foods, and fatty foods
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid stress because it can also trigger excessive stomach acid production
- Avoid wearing clothes that are too tight, especially those that press on the stomach area
If the situation persists or worsens, we advise you to consult directly with a doctor. The doctor will conduct questions and answers and several examinations that are deemed necessary to find out the cause of your condition / complaint. Once the cause is known, the doctor will provide appropriate treatment.
You can read more about acid reflux via this link.
So, hopefully this is useful.
dr. Setiawan Winarso