How To Cope With A 10-month Child Who Is Hot Due To Accidentally Given Baking Soda?
Dear doctor, please help with the explanation, my child is less than ten months old, suddenly it turns out that his brother accidentally gave him a drink of white water which was then mixed with baking soda. please help and advice😢😭
Hello Riski, thank you for asking.
Baking soda contains chemicals that are alkaline. Baking soda in a normal amount is certainly no problem if swallowed by an adult. The problem now is that you do not know how large a dose of baking soda your baby is swallowing. Plus the digestive tract of infants who are still vulnerable, has not been able to receive excess alkaline levels. Bases can cause irritation and inflammation of the baby's digestive tract, ranging from the mouth, esophagus, stomach, to the intestines. Inflammation may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and not eating food.
Get your baby checked by a pediatrician immediately. The doctor may require additional tests such as blood tests in the laboratory to support the diagnosis. Give your child something to drink and eat as long as he still wants. Watch for severe vomiting and diarrhea.
You must investigate how and why the baby's brother gives the drink. Encourage discussion wisely and slowly. Keep all chemical items in liquid or solid form, place them in an inaccessible cupboard and lock the cabinet.
Hopefully this answer can provide enlightenment. Regards.