Is A Baby Weighing 8 Months 11 Kg Normal?
Morning r nMy baby 8 months more than 5 days with 11.5 kg bb is my baby normal or overweight? Then if overweight what is a good way to handle it, my child does not drink milk only breast and only solid. Thank you
Good morning, thanks for the question
With a weight of 11 kg at the age of children who stepped on 8 months it is classified as exceeding the normal infant's weight range according to WHO. but in a baby's daily diet, it requires a total of half the fat intake from the total daily calorie needs to support its growth. So that the reduction of calories for weight loss is not recommended for babies under 2 years of age.
Nevertheless excess fat and calories remain a concern, because if too fat will complicate processes such as learning to crawl or walk. Usually the doctor will wait until the age of the children before deciding to change their diet to lose weight. Because not all overweight babies will become obese when children, but overweight children often become obese in adulthood.
What can be done to slow the baby's weight gain include:
1. Avoid sweets until the baby is 12 months old
2. Don't give fruit juice yet, it's better if the baby is given whole fruit if he has started to learn to eat solid food
3. Do not always give food every time the baby cries, try to provide contacts to calm him down like being hugged or held
4. At mealtimes don't do it in a hurry, eat slowly for 15-20 minutes
5. Don't use food if you want to distract him, use toys or try playing with your baby
6. Limit watching TV or other media before the child is 2 years old
7. Don't force the baby to eat more when the baby shows signs of being full, such as shaking his head or closing his mouth
Monitor your weight through the posyandu program or any control with a doctor. If after age the child continues to show being overweight, maybe doctors and parents begin to change their dietary patterns by limiting calories and fat in their daily diet.
That's all, hope you can help
Wassalam, Dr. Farah