Nasal Discharge (booger) Is Ingested In Infants Aged Less Than 2 Months?
Good afternoon doctor … I want to ask .. I was going to clean my son’s nasal discharge that was only 46 days old, but had not had time to clean my son woke up and cried and suddenly nasal dirt (boos) sucked in. Either swallowed or how clear that booger is gone. I asked, is it dangerous to get boogers in the nose? Thank you…
Thank you for asking HealthReplies.com.
Nasal discharge (boils) is formed from dirt trapped in the cilia (fine hairs that are in the mucous layer (mucous membranes) of the nasal cavity, then clumps mixed with mucus secreted by glandular cells in the mucosal layer. the body's mechanism in preventing the entry of harmful foreign substances into the deeper airways.
Upil that often builds up indeed makes the baby look difficulty breathing, so it must be removed. If in the process of issuing the boil is finally swallowed, often this condition is not dangerous, because of its small size and rarely contains harmful germs. But indeed, in some sensitive children, ingestion of this booger can cause some negative effects, for example:
If swallowed into the digestive tract, symptoms may appear nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, and other discomfort around the stomach
If swallowed into the deeper respiratory tract (aspiration), pneumonia (inflammation of the parenchyma of the lungs) can occur, so that the baby may experience coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain, fever, weakness, lethargy, and many other complaints
If none of the above symptoms that your baby is experiencing, you should not worry too much before .. Prevent a similar incident so that it does not recur again in the future, namely by cleaning the baby's nasal dirt very carefully using a nasal discharge suction tool specifically designed for babies (you can get it at the nearest mother and baby supply store).
However, if you observe any of the symptoms above, do not hesitate to check your baby directly to the doctor or the nearest pediatrician.
I hope this helps.