Overcoming Hiccups When You Wake Up?
I want to ask why after waking up always hiccups, whether it’s sleeping in the morning, noon, or even at night, even just a moment of guaranteeing the eyes immediately wake up suddenly “already hiccups, started hiccups just yesterday yes about 15-30 minutes the hiccups disappeared themselves, please advise how to get rid of ‘y … Thank you
Hello, Andi, thank you for asking HealthReplies.com.
A hiccup is closing the vocal cords suddenly due to stimulation from the diaphragm muscle. The diphragm is the muscle that separates the thoracic cavity and the abdominal cavity.
Some of the things that can cause hiccups (the diaphragm contracts) are:
1. Eating too much or too fast
4. Consuming spicy food / drinks, alcohol, too hot / cold, soft drinks
5. Aerophagia (swallowing too much air) for example if you talk too much, or sleep with your mouth open
6. Psychological stress
7. Excessive psychological reactions, for example too happy, too anxious, too sad
8. There are underlying diseases, such as nervous disorders, asthma, acid reflux disease, metabolic disorders (diabetes for example), irritation of the nerves that regulate the diaphragm, and many more.
9. Side effects of certain drugs
Relieve and reduce the frequency of hiccups by:
1. Avoid things that trigger hiccups (as described above)
2. Bend forward until the chest feels compressed
3. Hold your breath for a moment
4. Try to swallow sugar / drink cold water slowly / taste vinegar / bite a lemon
If the hiccups are very frequent, or persist for more than 48 hours, check with your doctor to determine the exact cause. The doctor will perform a physical examination and the necessary supporting examinations depending on his suspicion from the results of the interview regarding the complaint and from the results of the physical examination. The treatment will be in accordance with the results of the examination.
That's all, hopefully it's useful.
Greetings, dr. Sarah Rizqia.