Recovery From Bell’s Palsy?
what about someone who has had Bell’s palsy for about 4 years, he has done physiotherapy and medical treatment.. And the results, thank God, have been okay.. I can close my eyes, laugh, smile.. But it’s still not perfect.. And Currently, there is no physiotherapy anymore, is it too late to start treatment again? To complete his healing?
Hi Marhaman, thanks for the question to HealthReplies.com
Recovery from Bell's palsy depends on:
1. The severity of the onset of Bell's palsy. in one study it was found that in patients with less severe lesions, complete recovery was 94%. Mamun only 60% fully recovered when experiencing severe lesions.
2. recovery speed. in the study it was found that if partial recovery occurs under 21 days, then the possibility of a complete recovery is greater
3. Treatment of Bell's palsy. found based on research, steroid administration can accelerate recovery in bell palsy.
based on the studies mentioned above, it is possible that the symptoms will be persistent and complete recovery may not occur. However, there are several treatments that can be done, including:
1. botulinum toxin injection
2. Surgical management, especially for cosmetic disorders
If the symptoms really interfere with daily activities, then your friend should discuss the above treatment with a neurologist or plastic surgeon.
that's my answer, hope it helps
dr. Irna Cecilia