Symptoms Of Transmission Due To Leptospira Bacteria?
You accidentally inhale rat urine in a close enough distance to the nose, can you get leptospirosis?
Thank you for visiting HealthReplies.com.
Rats are one of the animals that can carry Leptospira bacteria, in addition to other animals, such as cows or pigs. Infection by this bacterium is called leptospirosis.
Leptospira bacteria can grow in fresh water, wet soil, mud, and vegetation. These bacteria are often also spread during the flood season. Animals carrying Leptospira bacteria usually transmit this bacterium through urine. Humans can also become infected if the urine of these bacteria-carrying animals enters the body through open wounds or is ingested into the digestive tract. These bacteria can also enter through the eyes, nose, mouth, or animal bites, especially if you are often in areas where the soil or water is prone to contamination by these bacteria.
So, the answer to your question, is it possible for transmission of leptospirosis to occur when inhaling rat urine in close proximity, maybe yes, maybe not. Yes, if the mouse urine you breathe contains Leptospira bacteria. The potential for infection will be even greater if there is an open wound in your nasal cavity, for example due to frequent scraping. However, transmission may also not occur, namely if the mouse urine you breathe does not contain Leptospira bacteria. Because, indeed not all rats carry Leptospira bacteria in their bodies.
Try to see if you experience symptoms of leptospirosis, such as fever, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, muscle and joint pain, diarrhea, coughing, decreased appetite, or a red rash appears on the skin and eyes. If these signs appear, try to immediately see a doctor for further treatment.
I hope this helps.
dr. Nadia Nurotul Fuadah