The Effect Of Being Late For An Anti-rabies Injection After Being Bitten By A Monkey?
I want to ask if there is no effect if I don’t have the verorab injection again because it’s been 14 days but the verorab vaccine is still empty, is there no danger if I don’t get a verorab injection again because I’ve been given a verorab injection once … for a monkey that bites my child until now looks healthy
Hello, Thank you for the question.
Rabies is a disease that attacks the nervous system caused by lyssavirus. In Indonesia, about 98 percent of cases are transmitted through dogs and the remaining 2 percent through monkeys. The highest incidence of rabies was in Bali, followed by Riau and NTT, North Sumatra and West Sumatra.
A person who is bitten by a dog or monkey without provocation or whose vaccine status is unclear is advised to receive several doses of rabies vaccine over a period of time. If your child has just received one vaccination and has not yet received the next dose of vaccine, then the immunity to rabies stimulated by this vaccine will not develop properly and may not even develop at all. You don't need to worry if after 14 days the animal biting your child is still healthy. You need to worry about your child's condition if the animal dies within 10 days. because according to WHO, animals affected by rabies will usually die within 7-10 days.
Hope this information is helpful.