The First Treatment For Antiseptic Poisoning?
Hello, hello … want to ask if detol poisoning is your first action?
Hello Andre, thank you for the question for HealthReplies.com
Dettol is an antiseptic solution containing chloroxylenol. This solution is used to clean the skin or wounds from bacterial infection. This antiseptic solution is not intended to be taken by mouth or swallowed. Ingesting large amounts of chloroxylenol can cause the following side effects:
nausea and vomiting
vomiting of light blood
hypersalivation (excess saliva production)
loss of consciousness
In cases such as swallowing dettol, the patient should be brought to the hospital IMMEDIATELY for further evaluation. The patient is not advised to be given any food or drink, nor is it advisable to induce vomiting in the patient. Inducing vomiting can increase the risk of aspiration (vomiting fluid into the lungs) which can be fatal for the patient.
Treatment in hospital for patients who swallow dettol depends on the severity of the symptoms experienced. In general, the actions taken are only supportive (treating symptoms only). If there is an impaired patency of the airway or decreased consciousness, actions such as intubation (insertion of breath tubes) and installation of a ventilator (breathing machine) can be performed. The risk of death from dettol poisoning is approximately 1.8%. Death occurred in patients who experienced aspiration.
So much information from me, hopefully it will be enough to answer
dr. irna cecilia