What Are The Signs If A Baby Or Toddler Swallows A Foreign Object And Can It Be Seen With An X-ray?

Illustration of What Are The Signs If A Baby Or Toddler Swallows A Foreign Object And Can It Be Seen With An X-ray?
Illustration: What Are The Signs If A Baby Or Toddler Swallows A Foreign Object And Can It Be Seen With An X-ray? sharp.com

, I want to ask. What is the sign “if a baby / toddler is swallowed by a foreign object? The problem is that my child plays with tacks, I am afraid that someone will be affected. and how much is that? Mksh mhon info

1 Answer:

Hello Sitirianah, thank you for your question to HealthReplies.com

Symptoms of swallowing a foreign object, of course, depend on how large the object is swallowed and whether there are sharp parts on the foreign object. Any foreign object can make a child choke when entering the child's airway. In this case the child will experience coughing so that he can experience shortness of breath. Large objects can get stuck in a child's throat when swallowed, causing discomfort in children (foreign body sensation in the throat), difficulty swallowing, can also be accompanied by vomiting, and in this condition the child will become restless and cry continuously. Sharp objects can cause injury to the child's gastrointestinal tract (oral cavity, esophagus, stomach, or intestine of a child), so you may be able to find a wound in the child's mouth, or if the child vomits, you can see blood in his vomit. Sharp objects that make it into the stomach and intestines can pierce the organ to cause severe pain in the stomach and if there is a perforation (tear in the organ), then the pain can be accompanied by symptoms such as a hard stomach like a board and high fever.


If the object that enters is only small and not sharp, in general, the object will come out by itself when the child defecates and does not cause any symptoms. This will be a different story if the child is swallowed by the battery. If there is a suspicion of swallowing the battery, then the child must be immediately taken to the hospital even though it is asymptomatic at all.


Tacks include objects that have sharp edges. When a thumbtack is swallowed, it is likely that the baby or toddler will experience injury to the mouth and throat, so the baby will not stand still, become more fussy and cry all the time. If there is indeed a suspicion of swallowing a foreign object, the child should immediately be taken to a pediatrician so that further examination can be carried out.


Henceforth, do not place small objects or other dangerous objects around children under 3 years. Children under 3 years still like to put all kinds of objects into their mouths, so they have a high risk of being swallowed by foreign objects and poisoning (both chemical or drug poisoning).

So much information from me, hopefully enough answer

: by

Related Question

The Most Effective Treatment For Scabies?

The Most Effective Treatment For Scabies?

(9 months ago)

what is the best medicine to treat scabies...

Swelling And Bruising After Ankle Injury?

Swelling And Bruising After Ankle Injury?

(1 year ago)

Good afternoon....

Feet Itchy And Appear Red Bumps With Pus?

Feet Itchy And Appear Red Bumps With Pus?

(11 months ago)

Hello, I want to ask. R nWhy do my feet sometimes feel itchy and sometimes lumps appear suddenly “, then over time it swells red and comes out pus. R nEnd ” this is so ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *