Why Is The Gastric Fluid Brownish Red In The Post Op App?
Syalom, nI want to ask, my younger brother is aged 6 post op app, the pus has broken, the surgeon said and there is a small tear in the large intestine but everything has been cleaned and sewn also 1 day after my sister’s op from the beginning using NGT it comes out reddish almost brown, the color of the gastric juices, what’s the cause? Is it only natural after the post op app or why? I’m afraid it’s not normal. while my brother was recommended to fast 2×24 hours before anything had entered his stomach. nPlease answer yes. nThank you.
Thank you for asking at HealthReplies.com
NGT placement in gastrointestinal surgery aims to:
1. Reducing the pressure (decompression) of the stomach
2. Prevent nausea and vomiting
3. Prevent abdominal distension
4. Reducing the risk of stomach fluids entering the lungs (pulmonary aspiration)
5. Reducing the risk of not combining surgical scars and infection
Bleeding that occurs as a result of a tear in the large intestine and the process of repair surgery and surgery to remove the appendix is a natural thing and will decrease according to the patient's wound healing process. Children who have a perforated appendix (tear in the intestine) need about 2-3 weeks to return to their normal activities.
Furthermore, what you need to pay attention to include:
1. Postoperative wound care
2. Postoperative nutrition
3. Signs of postoperative infection such as redness in the area of the operation and a fever.
You can read additional explanation about appendectomy here.
Thus, hopefully useful.