X-ray Effects For Children Aged 13 Months?
Doctor … My child is 13 months old. One of the earrings is not visible. All families have searched for the earring but why not. So I plan to want to X-ray my child’s stomach, afraid of being swallowed because at this time my child likes to put anything in his mouth Doctor. My question is that X-rays for 13-month-old children have side effects, right?
Thank you for asking HealthReplies.com.
One thing that is feared from giving excessive jewelry to babies is the risk for swallowing. This is certainly not impossible, considering the baby has a very high curiosity so it's easy to put things in his mouth. If it is truly feared that this condition is happening to your baby, you should immediately consult a doctor, pediatrician, or pediatric surgeon for further evaluation.
Swallowed foreign matter into the baby's digestive tract, is actually not always dangerous. However, if this foreign object has a hard consistency, is inorganic (including gold and other metals), and is quite large in size, it is feared that it can cause digestive motility disorders or even clog the baby's intestines (in the medical realm called obstructive ileus). If there is a sharp surface of the earrings, these earrings can also cause injury, or even tears, on your baby's organs.
Examination of suspicious cases of ingested foreign objects in infants can be done in various ways, ranging from interviews, physical examinations, and supporting tests, such as x-rays, endoscopy, and so on. There is no minimum age limit for carrying out this examination procedure (including x-rays). If there are medical indications that require it, then this examination may still be, even recommended, to be done to avoid the risk of dangerous complications.
It is best to consult with your doctor directly about the best treatment for your baby. Next time, to prevent recurring complaints, you should not give your baby excessive jewelry, especially those that are prone to being released and swallowed. Also, make sure you do not let the baby play alone without adult supervision. Do not forget, also avoid other objects that are vulnerable to swallowing so it is not within the reach of the baby's hand.
Hope this helps ...